T8505 Basic Christian Doctrines
- Unit Code & NameT8505 Basic Christian Doctrines
- DescriptionThis graduate course unit introduces students to the beliefs of a Christian tradition, enabling them to explore their faith within the context and shape of that tradition. It provides a foundation for all future theology course units.
- Semester3, 2017
- Delivery ModeOnline, Class
- Lecturer(s) Assoc Prof Glen O'Brien
- Learning ActivitiesLectures, readings, quizzes, tutorials, student presentations
- AssessmentsQuizzes, teaching session, and essay
- Learning OutcomesAt the end of this unit students will be able to:
1. Interpret the major doctrines within a particular Christian tradition
2. Appraise the core doctrines from alternatives held in other Christian traditions
3. Demonstrate an ability to research widely, think critically, and reflect theologically
4. Critically analyse the writing of relevant theological thinkers and texts
5. Creatively apply insights from their study to Christian life and ministry
- Text BooksMcGrath, Alister. Theology: the Basics. 3rd edition. Oxford: Blackwell, 2011.
McGrath, Alister. Theology: the Basic Readings. 2nd edition. Oxford: Blackwell, 2011.
The Salvation Army Handbook of Doctrine 2010. London: Salvation Army Publishing, 2010.