B9603 Interpretation of the Bible
- Unit Code & NameB9603 Interpretation of the Bible
- DescriptionThis postgraduate unit introduces the history, goals and general principles of biblical interpretation with specific attention paid to the recognition and interpretation of various literary genres within the Bible.
It investigates the need for a principled approach to biblical interpretation to construct responsible bridges between the biblical text and the current context.
- DisciplineBiblical Studies
- Semester3, 2017
- Delivery ModeOnline
- DateLive online tutorials fortnightly on Thursdays, 7 & 21 September, 5 & 19 October, 2 November held from 8.30pm to 9.30pm AEST. Students are required to participate live in at least three sessions.
- Lecturer(s) Dr Arseny Ermakov
- Prerequisites9 credit points in Biblical Studies
- Learning OutcomesAt the end of this unit students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an advanced knowledge of principles for the interpretation of the Bible
2. Evaluate a broad range of scholarly approaches used in interpreting Scripture
3. Apply pertinent interpretation principles to biblical texts
4. Recognize the various literary genre used in the Bible and interpret the texts according to the specific requirements of each genre
5. Appreciate the value of a diverse range of approaches used in the interpretation of the Scriptures within the Christian tradition